When you hear the term healthy, your mind probably drifts to the physical connotations. It might include things like good cholesterol levels, the absence of any illness, and cardiovascular health. Unfortunately, many people suffer from mental health issues that are just as incapacitating as some of the severe physical illnesses.
Some people opt for professional mental health services, which can substantially improve their quality of life. However, for many people, help never arrives because of either a lack of proper access or they fail to seek help.
Also, when it comes to mental health, seeking treatment or asking for assistance can be incredibly daunting. However, the advantages of mental health care providers near me far outweigh the difficulties of overcoming the preliminary fear of seeking help.
How Common Is Mental Illness?
The National Alliance of Mental Illness (NAMI) suggests that on average, one in five Americans suffer from some sort of mental condition every year. In addition, approximately 10 percent of these individuals experience severe mental illnesses.
These conditions interfere substantially with their life activities. From bipolar disorder to schizophrenia, there are many debilitating mental illnesses that can make simple routine tasks impossible. Furthermore, many Americans also suffer from anxiety disorders, depression, and addiction/substance abuse.
As a matter of fact, each year, more than 18 percent of the American population suffers from posttraumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and phobias. Moreover, substance abuse is also fairly common in individuals experiencing multiple mental disorders.
Why Is It Difficult to Seek Treatment?
Unfortunately, almost half of all the youth suffering from a mental condition doesn’t receive any treatment. Also, many studies have been carried out to explore the reasons for this disproportion. In reality, there is not one solid answer. Some reasons were to do with economic conditions, the environment as well as some other overarching aspects.
Moreover, some mental disorders make it difficult for the individual to reach out for help. Here are some of the common problems that make it difficult to seek help, especially when it comes to adolescents:
- Embarrassment And Stigma – Judgmental and negative outlook towards mental instability leads to fear and shame. It prevents people from seeking help because they don’t want the label of being mentally ill.
- Preference For Self-Reliance – Growing up, people tend to start asserting their freedom and independence. Such an inclination might result in them wanting to rely on themselves even when they should seek professional assistance.
- Difficulty Understanding Symptoms – Some adolescents and teenagers are unsure as to how they can identify their condition. In addition, it might be challenging for them to figure out whether their issues are typical or highlight an underlying mental health condition.
- Feelings of Hopelessness – This is particularly the case for people suffering from depression. Also, depressive symptoms can lead to a sense of hopelessness which may prevent people from seeking help.
Benefits of Getting Treatment for Mental Health
Fortunately, highlighting the advantages of mental health treatment is way easier than determining why it’s difficult to seek assistance. In addition, when you know what you can gain through the experience, you are more likely to get on board with it.
According to your particular condition, there will be specific benefits to receiving treatment. However, taking into account the benefits of mental health services is a good starting point.
- Better Quality of Life – Imagine a life where you don’t have to deal with the symptoms you are facing at the moment. Without psychological distress, depression, stress, and anxiety to wear you down, you can live your life to the very best.
- Healthier Relationships – The symptoms of mental health conditions can often take a toll on an individual’s relationships. Thus, when you don’t have these symptoms sapping your strength, you can foster healthy relationships. In addition, you will have more time and energy for people in your life.
- Better Performance at Work – Mental health counseling improves concentration, productivity, creativity, and overall performance. Moreover, it decreases absenteeism and enhances your attention span.
- Fewer Chances of Complications – People who are suffering from mental conditions often also develop an addiction. However, when you get professional treatment, it lowers the chances of you indulging in substance abuse. Also, if alcohol and drugs are already an issue, you can get a dual diagnosis treatment that will take care of both conditions.
- Support And Encouragement – Individual psychotherapy allows you to better know yourself and your goals in life. In addition, there is group therapy that gives you exposure to peers with similar challenges. It is excellent for gaining a fresh perspective on tricky problems. Furthermore, this experience gives you the strength you need to continue recovery and healing.
Mental health services can cut down the risk of more serious conditions originating from anxiety, stress, and addiction. Also, they can save lives while improving the overall outlook for individuals who might feel lost and hopeless.
If you feel that you or someone you know is suffering from a mental condition, get in touch with a mental health professional today. These positive steps towards recovery can substantially improve the quality of your life.